- 3 1/2cups premade rich chicken stock
- 1/2tsp saffron threads
- 2bay leaves
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 4oz artisan cooking chorizo, cut into ¼-inch slices and then halved
- 8oz cubed chicken breast
- 1cup pre-chopped onion or 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1tbsp jarred minced garlic or 3 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 8oz diced fire-roasted tomatoes, well drained
- 4fire-roasted piquillo peppers, halved and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 3/4cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2cups Bomba paella rice
- 8oz cooked, deveined and peeled medium shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 1tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped for garnish
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Alioli garlic sauce for serving
Put the saffron, bay leaves and chicken stock in a saucepan over a low heat, bring to a simmer then turn off the heat and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a 13-inch paella pan or sauté pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cubed chicken and continue to cook, stirring frequently until chicken is lightly browned on all sides. Add the onion and garlic and continue cooking until onion is soft.
Add the tomatoes, piquillo peppers, rice, paprika and chicken stock. Mix well and leave to simmer vigorously for 6 minutes. Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir in peas, lower the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes. It is important to not stir the rice after this point. Tuck in the shrimp and cook for 5 minutes more. At the end of cooking, all the liquid should have been absorbed and the rice should be just tender.
Turn off the heat, cover the pan with a sheet of foil and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Remove foil and garnish with the chopped parsley leaves.