- 3cups vegetable stock or 3 cups water and 2 cubes low sodium vegetable bouillon
- 1/2tsp saffron threads
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1large Bermuda or Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 3large cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 1/2tsp bittersweet Spanish smoked paprika
- 3bay leaves
- 3piquillo peppers, chopped
- 2tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1/2cup Spanish sherry or white wine (optional)
- 1cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1medium zucchini or yellow squash, trimmed and cubed
- 4large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2cups Bomba rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely minced parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Marcona almonds (optional garnish)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Add vegetable stock or 3 cups water and vegetable bouillon cubes to a medium saucepan and place on medium high heat. Add saffron and bring to a low boil. Boil 2-3 minutes or until bouillon cubes dissolve. Reduce heat to keep warm.
In a 13-inch paella pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell peppers. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent. Add the sherry/white wine, bay leaves, thyme, piquillo peppers, garlic, smoked paprika, zucchini, peas and tomatoes with their juices. Simmer for 10 minutes more.
Stir in the rice and warmed stock, taste and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until most of the stock is absorbed.
Cover with foil, put into preheated oven for another 10 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. To serve, decorate with lemon wedges and chopped parsley. You can also top with a handful of Marcona almonds for a little crunch and extra protein!
Serve with crusty bread and a Spanish white or rosé wine.