- 2pounds of ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1small green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1small red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1medium Vidalia onion, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 3cloves of fresh garlic, chopped or 5 cloves jarred sweet white garlic, very finely minced
- 1/2cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4tbsp sherry vinegar (or 6 tbsp red wine vinegar)
- 1cup of bread from a Galician barra or a baguette, torn into small pieces
- 1cup ice cold water
- 1tsp sugar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Diced red or yellow bell pepper for garnish
Working in batches, combine the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, onion (if using), garlic, olive oil, sugar, vinegar and bread in a blender or food processor. Blend until very smooth.
Strain into a bowl using a fine mesh strainer, pressing to extract as much liquid and pulp as possible. Stir in ice water to your desired consistency and add salt and black pepper to taste. Adjust vinegar level as needed.
Refrigerate for three hours or preferably overnight. Serve in small bowls with diced red and green pepper garnish.