- 5cups water
- 2 cubes fish bouillon
- 2cubes chicken bouillon
- 1tsp saffron threads
- 1tsp smoked Spanish paprika (Pimentón de la Vera)
- 1-2tbsp extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- 4boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 12oz Spanish cooking chorizo, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1small onion, chopped
- 1small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1/2cup chopped parsley
- 4tbsp chopped garlic
- 2cups Bomba rice
- 6oz roasted piquillo peppers, chopped
- 1small tomato, finely chopped
- 3bay leaves
- Spanish sea salt and pepper
- 6cloves garlic, peeled
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Fill a saucepan with the water and place on medium high heat. Add all four bouillon cubes, saffron and paprika. Bring to a low boil until stock cubes dissolve. Reduce heat to keep warm.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with a small amount of smoked paprika. On medium high heat, brown the chicken and chorizo in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 13-inch paella pan, about 5-10 minutes. Remove to a platter.
Add the onion, bell pepper, chopped garlic and parsley to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little more olive oil if needed. Add the rice, tomato, bay leaves and piquillo peppers. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the rice starts to brown. Add broth and stir until it boils. Return the chicken and chorizo pieces, burying them in the paella. Scatter the garlic cloves over the top.
Place in oven for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. After 30 minutes, taste the rice to see if it is done; if it is not, continue to cook. You can leave a little broth in the paella, or cook until the broth is fully absorbed, to your taste. Serve with a crisp green salad, crusty bread and a Spanish white or rosé wine.
Serving Size 24.4 oz/ 691 gr; Calories 1035; Calories from Fat 435; Total Fat 48.5 gr (75%); Saturated Fat 15.5 gr (77%); Trans Fat 0.5 gr; Cholesterol 170 mg (57%); Sodium 2082 mg (87%); Total Carbohydrates 97 gr (32%); Fiber 6 gr (23%); Sugars 5 gr; Protein 50 gr (100%); Vitamin A 61%; Vitamin C 193%; Calcium 12%; Iron 46%.
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.