Galicians in the north of Spain have relied for centuries on this delicious, fortifying stew to fight off the winter chill. Simple, yet satisfying, smoky chorizo sausage adds depth of flavor to this ever popular dish.
- 1 1/2 cups (250 gr) dried white beans
- 1serrano ham bone
- Salt, pepper, and sweet smoked paprika
- 1Generous lb (500 g) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1Generous lb (500 g) turnip tops, alternatively kale or savoy cabbage, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 chorizos, cut into pieces
- 1/4lb of smoked pork belly or pancetta, cubed
this is text as a sample
Soak the beans overnight in plenty of cold water.
Next day, bring the beans and the ham knuckle and pork belly to a boil in 8 1/2 cups/2 liters of water. Season with the salt, pepper and paprika, and simmer for about 1 hour.
Remove the ham bone and add the potatoes, vegetables, chorizo and pork belly. Continue cooking for another 30 minutes. Serve the soup in earthenware bowls.