- 2lbs waxy potatoes, like Yukon Gold (this will give you some leftover potato salad to serve on the side)
- 2tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4ripe heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes, around 12 oz each
- 1cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1fire-roasted piquillo pepper, chopped
- 1/2cup chopped scallions, green part only, sliced into ¼-inch lengths
- 1small Vidalia or Bermuda onion, finely diced
- 1cup alioli or mayonnaise (or half of each)
- 1/2tsp Pimentón de La Vera smoked paprika
- 4oz ventresca tuna, (optional
- 2hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped (optional)
- Parsley for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Peel the potatoes and cut into ½-inch cubes. Boil in salted water until just tender, about 8-10 minutes. After the potatoes have cooked for about 7 minutes, add the peas. Drain and chill until very cold, at least two hours.
While the potatoes and peas chill, cut the tops off of the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Season with salt and arrange tomatoes cut side down on paper towels to drain well.
After the potatoes and peas have chilled, sprinkle with sherry vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add piquillo pepper, onion and scallions. Gently stir the alioli or mayonnaise into the vegetables.
Fill the tomatoes with the potato salad. Sprinkle with the smoked paprika and garnish with parsley.
Alternatively, drain the ventresca tuna, reserving the oil. Gently flake the tuna and mix with chopped hard-boiled egg. Spoon the tuna and egg mixture over the stuffed tomatoes and drizzle with a little of the reserved oil. Sprinkle the smoked paprika and parsley over top.
Calories 494; Total Fat 21.3 gr (27%); Saturated Fat 1.3 gr (7%); Cholesterol 111 mg (37%); Sodium 1070 mg (47%); Total Carbohydrates 58.5 gr (21%); Fiber 10.3 gr (37%); Sugars 13.2 gr; Protein 18 gr; Vitamin D 39%; Calcium 7%; Iron 22%; Potassium 33%.
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.