- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1medium onion, diced
- 3links cooking chorizo
- 1 3/4cups Pardinas lentils
- 4large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2carrots, peeled and diced
- 1large potato, peeled and diced
- 5 1/2cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 1medium tomato, diced
- 1tbsp bittersweet Spanish smoked paprika
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Olla de Hierra (Traditional Stew Pot) or 2 quart heavy bottom pot
In an olla de hierra or heavy bottom pot add the olive oil, onion and whole chorizo. Cook over medium-low heat, turning chorizo occasionally, until onions soften and chorizo starts to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove chorizo, slice and return to pot.
Rinse lentils. Add stock (or water), lentils, whole garlic cloves, paprika, tomato, carrots and potatoes to the pot with the onion and chorizo. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Let cook uncovered 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Remove the cloves of garlic, squeeze garlic from its skin and mash. Return garlic pulp to the pot.
Serve stew with a crisp green salad, crusty bread and a Spanish Tempranillo wine.