- 3lbs chicken (whole or pre-cut, skin on and bone in)
- 8garlic cloves, peeled, thickly sliced
- 2oz diced Serrano ham
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1bay leaf
- 1sprig of fresh rosemary or thyme (or both)
- 2tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2tsp Pimentón de La Vera mild smoked paprika
- 1/2cup dry sherry wine or dry white wine
- 1/2cup chicken broth
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
If using whole chicken, divide the chicken into small pieces, splitting the thighs and breasts. Discard any trimmings like wing tips. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
In a large (~15 in.) flameproof casserole dish, preferably a cazuela, heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic until golden. Do not allow garlic to burn or it will become bitter. Remove garlic and reserve.
Sear the chicken in hot oil until well browned on all sides and almost done, about 15 minutes.
Add the jamón, sherry, bay leaf, rosemary and/or thyme, parsley, reserved garlic and paprika. Squash the garlic lightly to release its flavor. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until sherry is reduced by half. Add the chicken broth, carefully scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits. Cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Calories 706; Total Fat 25.6 gr (33%); Saturated Fat 6.2 gr (31%); Cholesterol 279 mg (93%); Sodium 1534 mg (67%); Total Carbohydrates 3 gr (1%); Fiber 0.5 gr (2%); Sugars 0.3 gr; Protein 109.2 gr ; Vitamin D 0%; Calcium 5%; Iron 21%; Potassium 15%.
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.