- Painted by hand in Spain
- Beautiful 16th century pattern
- From the town of El Puente del Arzobispo
- Warm ivory colored background
- Dishwasher safe, food safe, lead free
- Size - 11 inches wide
In the tiny village of El Puente del Arzobispo, artisans painstakingly paint each of these plates by hand - as they have for the last 500 years. The blue brushwork is painted on a warm, ivory colored background. These plates will bring a classic beauty to any meal. This plate features a stag in the countryside.
We went to El Puente, and our friend Belén showed us into her studio. We were looking for new patterns, and found a centuries-old design instead! Below piles of brightly colored ceramics we found a plate with an elegant blue pattern that captured our attention. Belén informed us that this was the original pattern that had made her village famous, all the way back in the 16th century. Over the years, more modern designs had eclipsed this one, but her small group of artisans continues painting the traditional pattern to this day.
El Puente del Arzobispo is a beautiful little village in the countryside not far from Toledo. The region is famous for its wildlife, which became central to its signature painted designs. The original ceramics makers were not prosperous enough to afford expensive bright glazes, so the subtle blue was the most common color in their ceramics. We visited the local ceramics museum and found plates from the 1500s with designs very similar to what they are creating today.
This plate is lead free and food safe. While these plates are dishwasher safe, you may want to hand wash them to prevent the glaze from fading over time.
- Sale$41.95$32.95cm-122Add to cart
- Sale$32.95$27.95cm-126Add to cart
- Sale$49.95$36.95cm-117Add to cart
- Sale$41.95$32.95cm-121Add to cart
- Sale$32.95$25.95cm-125Add to cart
- Sale$49.95$39.95cm-119Add to cart
- Sale$41.95$30.95cm-123Add to cart
- Sale$32.95$27.95cm-127Add to cart
- Sale$49.95$39.95cm-120Add to cart
- Sale$41.95$34.95cm-124Add to cart
- $32.95cm-128Add to cart
People Who Viewed This Item Also Bought
"These are the most charming plates ever! Not only the stag design but the hare, boar and swallow designs are lovely. I have purchased the plates, tapas plates and bowls, all of which are beautifully made. Because they are handmade, they do vary in uniformity with slight variations in shape, color and design. I think this only adds to the rustic charm of the pieces."