One of the most recognizable names in Galicia, Raúl Pérez Pereira and the multitude of estates that he runs, are some of the best the region has to offer. This project, La Vizcaina de Vinos, explores the hillside "crus" around his hometown of Vatuille de Abajo and while all these bottlings are labeled as Mencía, they all contain other local grape varietals as well. The Las Gundiñas site was planted in 1910 and has not only Bastardo (Trousseau) and Garnacha Tintorera (Alicante Bouchet) in the blend, but also a local white varietal, Doña Blanca. Zesty and a bit more lifted than its cousin La Poulosa, this red fruited beauty has spice cake, cherry pit and tons of pepper combining for a complex and intriguing drinking experience.
Grilled beef, roasts, hard cheeses, grilled mushrooms, rosemary smoked lamb or lentils.
- Variety: Mencía, Bastardo, Garnacha Tintorera & Doña Blanca
- Region: Castilla y León (Bierzo)
- Producer: La Vizcaína (Raúl Pérez)
- Country: Spain
- Type: Red
- Production: Practicing Organic
- Cellaring tips: Drink it now or hold through 2029
- Tech talk: 13.5% alcohol, whole cluster fermentation in large oak vats. 30-60 day maceration followed by one year of aging in used 225-liter barrels. Bottled without fining or filtration.
All wine is sold and shipped separately through La Tienda’s wine partner, Maison Corbeaux (Barbary Coast Merchants, LLC), which is the seller of record. All taxes and shipping fees are collected on its behalf.
* This product is not eligible for promotional offers or discounts.