Fabada - Asturian Bean Stew
Prep Time: 20 min.[PT20M]
Cook Time: 1 hr. 45 min.[PT1H45M]
Generous 1 lb lacón (cured, air-dried pork shank), boned, or cured pork belly or spareribs
3/4 cup smoked bacon, finely diced
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bay leaf
A few saffron threads
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
2 Spanish blood sausages (morcilla)
- Soak the shank overnight, changing the water once.
- Soften the beans overnight in cold water.
- Sweat the bacon, onion and garlic in a pan containing the olive oil until transparent.
- Add the meat and beans and just enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Season with the bay leaf, saffron, paprika and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer on medium heat for around 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir several times during cooking and add more water if necessary.
- When the beans are almost soft, add the sausages.
- Adjust the seasoning and leave to simmer until the beans are completely soft.
- Before serving, remove the meat and sausage from the pan, cut it into pieces and combine with the beans.
Recipe courtesy of Culinaria Spain book.
PRINT RECIPE | CLOSE