- The best saffron in Spain
- Grown by a small family in La Mancha
- Hand toasted, hand harvested
- Deeper color and powerful flavor
- Select Category, Class I; DO La Mancha
- Size - 1 gram / .035oz
The definitive gourmet food guide in Spain says Princesa de Minaya is “An artisanal saffron of immense quality”. Unquestionably the best of the best, this saffron will add a deep, authentic flavor to paella and other dishes. It surpasses the highest international standards in flavor and color.
For several generations the family of Maria Ángeles and Juan Antonio Serrano has cultivated the highest quality saffron in Spain – if not the world - on their ten acre plot. They need about 200 crocus flowers to obtain the gram of saffron you find packed in this bottle.
Princesa de Minaya adds a bright golden color and intense saffron flavor to your paella and all saffron dishes. Saffron is the fundamental flavor of paella, and in our experience Princesa de Minaya can make the difference between a good and a great paella.
During the harvest, this family collects, prunes and toasts saffron on a daily basis, which has a decisive effect on its aromatic, flavor profile and coloring strength—and all three are very intense. Their production for the year is no more than 50 pounds depending on the harvest.
Since saffron is such a precious condiment, the market is being flooded with many inferior grades and outright counterfeits. The ‘Denomination of Origin La Mancha’ seal on each jar guarantees that Princesa de Minaya is actually grown in La Mancha, the site of the finest saffron (azafrán) in the world, and matches the highest standards.
Our saffron is Category I which is the highest quality - the color and flavor intensity must be rated more than 190. Princesa de Minaya has never tested below 190 and is often above 200 (according to the international standard ISO-3632-2).
- Clams and Beans (Fabes con Almejas)
- Rice-Stuffed Peppers (Pimientos Rellenos)
- Pebbled Rice (Arroz Empedrat)
- Valencian Paella (Arroz en Paella a la Valenciana)
- Rice with Langoustines (Cazuela de Arroz con Langostinos)
- Rice with Beans and Turnips (Arroz con Alubias y Nabos)
- Baked Rice (Arroz al Horno)
- Soupy Rice with Lobster (Arroz Caldoso con Bogavante)
- Empanada Pork Pie (Pastel de Carne)
- Salmorejo - Thick Gazpacho with Jamon, Boiled Eggs and Roasted Peppers (Salmorejo)
- Shrimp in Trenchcoats (Gambas en Gabardinas)
- Surf 'n' Turf (Lobster with Chicken) (Mar i Terra)
- Rice with a Crust (Arroz con Costra)
- Chicken and Rice (Arroz con Pollo)
- Juanita (Patatas Juanita en Salsa de Almendras)
- Easy Paella With Chicken and Chorizo (Paella de Pollo y Chorizo)
- Shish Kebabs (Pinchitos)
- Garlic Chicken (Pollo al Ajillo)
- Fabada - Asturian Bean Stew (Fabada Asturiana)
- Mixed Seafood Paella (Paella de Marisco)
- Mixed Paella (Paella Mixta)
- Monkfish in Almond Sauce (Rape en Salsa de Almendras)
- Braised Partridge with Mushrooms and Chestnuts (Perdiz Braseado con Champiñones y Castañas)
- Lamb Fillet Steaks with Sauce from the Alpujarras (Cordero Alpujarreño)
- Salmon with Saffron Sauce (Salmón con Salsa de Azafrán)
- Cocktail of Warm Spider Crab with Saffron Pistils and Wild Fruits and Flowers (Cóctel Templado de Cangrejo con Pistilos de Azafrán y Frutas del Bosquepicón de centollo templado, pistilos de azafrán. frutas y flores silvestres)
May We Suggest
May We Suggest
Customer ReviewsAverage rating from 52 reviews Write a review
"Nothing like a good Saffron for your paella. This one is very good and nicely packed."
Jose Delgado - St Petersburg, FL
"I have had very good luck with this product in the past"
Gerald S Solomon - Sun City West, AZ
"Love it. The Best!"
Judith Cardoze - New York, NY
"Excellent saffron for paella!"
Frank Wiley - Kent, OH
Rudy Ornelas - Whittier, CA
Ceaser Pitta - West Caldwell, NJ
Michael Greer - Macomb, MI
"Delicious flavor, quick delivery, nicely packaged. I've re-ordered several times as the quality is excellent. Highly recommended."
Sandra Hamilton - SAN JOSE, California
"The saffron works very well and is what I expected from La Tienda where I have shopped from time to time. I always get good products."
Evangelina E. Yguerabide - La Jolla, CA
MARK SHEPARD - PARK CITY, UT
Curtis Wood - Clio, MI
"This is a very good product."
Armando Perruc - New Hartford
Bspain - Naples, FL
Nancy Rice - Wenonah, NJ
"i'm just wild about saffron"
david johnson - Baltimore, MD
"The best saffron indeed!"
ROMAN SOTO FELIU - Saint Paul, MN
"Marvelous, nothing else like it! Would like the 1/2 ounce tin next time."
Elizabeth Zois - Troy, New York
ANTONIO LONGO - ALEXANDRIA
Jose Gonzalez - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Jonathan Birtwistle - Chatham, NY
Monique Houle - Montreal, QC
"I have not used any other but will not try another. Amazing flavor and color."
Sean Boyle - Bridgewater, NJ
"My wife, who is a foodie and excellent cook, is in heaven with this saffron. The rest of us in the family are the beneficiaries."
peter kesser - memphis, TN
Makoto Matsumoto - Scottsdale, AZ
"Beautiful bottle. I have it on my counter for display. Have not actually tasted yet. 5 stars for how pretty and how much Saffron you get for the price."
PEGGY HORNE - Bradenton, FL
David R. DeVoe - Philadelphia, PA
"the best and i save the little bottles, for what, I don't know yet"
nancy jackson - desert hot springs, CA
"Better price and more quantity than locally!"
Ken Murphy - Opelika, AL
"Excellent! Just like what I purchased at a little shop when in Barcelona."
Greg D. - HARRISBURG, PA
"I live in rural Maine and can only find gourmet and exotic items on the internet. La Tienda offers the best Spanish saffron at the best price. Excellent!"
MEREDITH ARES - Searsport, ME
joseph west - moncks corner, SC
MARY CIFUENTES - PASADENA, CA
Enrique Rubio - Metairie, LA
"Added the perfect flavor to our paella! "
NANCY MCLAUGHLIN - CORUNNA, MI
Juan Mendivil - Brentwood, CA
J. Marin - Lewisville, Texas
"Excellent. This saffron gives authentic flavor to paella and creates a magnificent color. Will definately order again."
Andy Bauer - Mt.Vernon, Indiana
"The product arrived on time. This was the best saffron I have used in years. I am happy to have found La Tienda and will certainly order from them again."
Rick Maxson - Largo, Florida
"I am using the saffron for homemaid soup,my nationalty is hungarian-german,I can't find saffron in my Local stores,I alway's will be buying saffron from your company when I run out of it. your company is very good to deal with,excellent service!"
"Probably the very best saffron available in the world. Try it; you won't tolerate anything else."
Thomas Ryan Nelson
"Delicious flavor - you just can't do a good paella without it! Careful if you are toasting it over a flame in a foil packet - for a beginner like me, it is very easy to burn it. "
"I have not tried this product yet, I'm going to use it in my first paella. however the delivery was very quick. "
"I made paella for my family last weekend and they all really enjoyed it. The Princesa de Minaya saffron really made the dish!"
"Just opening the shipment box released the most wonderful aroma, even with the saffron sealed in zip bags & wrapped in bubble wrap! A great deal for this amount & quality, & it did not disappoint in my paella. "
".....read Dr.Oz review on saffron a Wonder drug to help fight cancer..great flavor and we use daily in tea...."
"Fragrant and delicious"