- Smoky aroma, intense flavor
- The only wood-fire roasted piquillos
- Approx. 10 whole peppers
- Authentic D.O. Lodosa product
- Great for stuffing
- Size - 2 x 7 oz/200 gr drained wt
One of our favorite foods in Spain is the wood-fire roasted piquillo pepper. These brilliant red peppers have a sweet, tangy flavor with a touch of smokiness and a bit of spice. And the texture is amazingly firm yet tender, allowing you to enjoy each bite.
We visited our vendor in Navarra years ago to witness the piquillo harvest and roasting process. Peppers arrived by the truckload, bright red and perfectly ripe. They only produce piquillo peppers once a year, during the harvest season in the fall - no shortcuts here, no frozen or green peppers to store for later in the year. Once they run out of peppers jarred from this harvest, you have to wait until the following year to order more!
We then saw the peppers being roasted - but we were surprised to see a modern gas-fired machine. We always presumed that the peppers were roasted over wood, the traditional way. Well, we found out from our friend Patxi that the vast majority of piquillos are now gas-fire roasted. It is just more efficient and cheaper to do.
If you know anything about us, you will know that we could not let this stand! We began working with Patxi and his family to bring back the old ways. Because we work with El Navarrico, a small family company, they were open to the change. Since they had not used wood fires in decades, it took a lot of trial and error to perfect the old way of roasting the peppers.
But they succeeded! And you can taste the difference. The main taste missing with gas fire is smokiness, and smoke is the big difference in flavor for the wood-fire roasted peppers. They have the same sweet, vibrant taste as always, but now with a smoky base that completes the perfect piquillo flavor.
We are proud to now offer the only truly wood-fire roasted piquillo peppers available in the US. El Navarrico even brought back one of its classic black labels for the occasion. They cost a bit more, but we think you will agree that it is a small price to pay for bringing back the true tradition and flavor of piquillo peppers!
Serve at room temperature by themselves, or stuff with tuna or cheese and heat in the oven. They make a beautiful accent to paella as well. There are literally hundreds of recipes calling for piquillo peppers, a unique flavor from Spain.
Piquillo peppers, salt and citric acid as acidulant.
Serving size 2 pieces (50g) Servings per container 4. Calories 20, calories from fat 0. Total fat 0g, saturated fat 0g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium 135mg, total carbohydrate 4g, dietary fiber less than 1g, protein 0g. Vitamin A 7%, Vitamin C 70%, Calcium 0%, Iron 5%. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Scrambled Eggs with Prawns, Garlic Shoots, and Triguero Asparagus with Piquillo Peppers (Revuelto de Gambas, Ajetes, Trigueros y Piquillo)
- Breast of Duck with Calanda Peach and Pepper Sauce (Pechuga de Pato con Salsa de Pimiento y Melocotones de Calanda)
- Lettuces Stuffed with Belly of Tuna, Anchovies and Piquillo Peppers (Lechuga Rellena con Bonito, Anchoas y Pimientos del Piquillo)
- Roasted Vegetable Towers and Manchego Crostini with Sherry Vinaigrette (Torres de Verduras Asadas con Crostini de Queso Manchego y Vinagreta de Jerez)
- Piquillo Peppers Stuffed with White Fish (Pimientos del Piquillo Rellenos de Pescado Blanco)
- Salmorejo - Thick Gazpacho with Jamon, Boiled Eggs and Roasted Peppers (Salmorejo)
- Roasted Piquillo Pepper, Caper, Anchovy and Basil Salad (Ensalada de Pimientos Asados, Alcaparras, Anchoas y Albahaca)
- Piquillo Harissa (Salsa Harissa de Piquillo)
- Chicken and Rice (Arroz con Pollo)
- Fried Eggs with Potatoes and Chorizo (Huevos Fritos con Patata y Chorizo)
- Empanada (Empanada)
- Tuna Salad with Roasted Piquillo Peppers (Ensalada de Atún con Pimientos Asados)
- Potato Salad (Ensaladilla)
- Jamón Serrano and Manchego Cheese Sandwich (Bocadillo de Jamón Serrano y Queso Manchego)
- Mixed Paella (Paella Mixta)
- Spinach Salad with Chorizo (Ensalada de Espinacas y Chorizo)
- Stuffed red Piquillo Peppers with Salt Cod and Shrimp in Tomato Peppers Sauce (Pimientos del Piquillo Rellenos de Bacalao y Gambas en Salsa de Pimiento de Bola)
- Hake Filled with Piquillo Peppers and Served with Scallion Coulis (Merluza Rellena con Pimientos del Piquillo y Coulis de Cebolleta)
- Piquillo Peppers Stuffed with Tetilla Cheese (Pimientos del Piquillo con Queso Tetilla)
May We Suggest
May We Suggest
Customer ReviewsAverage rating from 38 reviews Write a review
Michael Boggan - Kingsport, TN
kyle HAWKINS - chicago, IL
robert BRUNSON - CAPE CORAL, FL
"Adds a smoky depth and just a touch of heat."
CAROL MATHIAS - LINCOLN, NE
Cathie HUNT - Hamilton, ON
"These fire-roasted peppers really do taste different from the conventional ones, thanks in part to the wood fire, but also perhaps due to the particular kind of pepper. All of our guests preferred these ones."
Roland Hirsch - Germantown, MD
Leonard Gallo - Ocala, FL
JOSE LOPEZ - MIAMI, FL
"These peppers are absolutely wonderful. We served them at a Fourth of July gathering - all our guests raved about them. Simply delicious!"
John Hopper - Houston, TX
"They are excellent as usual and the service was exceptional. You can count on our business in the future."
JIM KARN - CECILIA, KY
Robert Mayer - Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
"Fresh and delicious peppers!!!"
Judith Greenblatt - NORCROSS, GA
"I love these peppers, and have been buying them for years. I use them in any recipe calling for roasted peppers, and they add interest even to recipes not calling for the smoked flavor."
Louise Burghart - Arlington, VA
"We use the peppers most frequently in our salads. They make what would be an ordinary salad really come alive."
peter kesser - memphis, TN
Edith Ward - Citronelle, AL
"Delicious! These are my favorite!"
Season Westover - BATTLE MOUNTAIN, NV
"These are my favorite piquillo peppers. Are you a fan of delicious flavor? Try these."
Maria B - Seaside
Audrey Menzer - Havre de Grace
Pablo Quintela - Sunrise
TIMOTHY MICHEL - Chicago
joseph west - moncks corner
"Yummy! Provided excellent flavor to my Paella!!"
Eileen WOODZELL - Castle Rock
Sergio Cervetti - Doylestown
Michael Boggan - Kingsport
judy emmings - excelsior
Allan Goldbaum - Las Vegas
Ron Michels - Livermore
Karl E Schweitzer - Bakersfield
MARY QUINN - RENO
DaVonna Quernemoen - South Bend
"The best. Family loved it so much wanted to double the amount we put in the paella -- which we plan to do next year!"
Gautam - Carlisle, Massachusetts
Ben Drew - Cocoa, Florida
"Wood Fired--what an EXCELENT idea!"
Sherri Zufall - Arvada, Colorado
"Great flavor. "
"While the quality of these peppers was fine, I am sure I could buy them in US and they would taste the same."
"These peppers have an amazing flavor.Make the best tapas in the world.Olive oil,Cooked chicken,These Piquillo peppers and monterey jack cheese under the broiler.Wonderful!!"