- Blanched almonds, ready to cook
- Prepare at home to suit your taste
- Perfect for baking and cooking
- Healthy snack!
This 2.2lb package contains simply pure, raw, unadulterated Spanish Marcona almonds, ready to complement your own unique flavors and recipes. Spain's sweet and crunchy Marcona almonds are perfect for baking, cooking, and as a healthy snack. Once a key source of protein for Mediterranean diets, almonds are rich in nutrients such as iron, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin B and linoleic acid. A recent study showed that when people eat roughly a handful of almonds a day, they lowered their LDL cholesterol by 3%! Sauté these large, sweet, raw Marcona almonds in some olive oil and dust with salt, sugar or your favorite spice to create your own delicious, heart-healthy treat!
Marcona almonds have long been precious treasure inside Spain, used for many of their gourmet products, such as Turron candy. Although the ever-increasing demand for these delectable almonds has inspired farmers in Morocco and California to attempt production, most Marcona almonds are found along the Mediterranean coasts of Spain, from the southern coast of Málaga, proceeding east up the Mediterranean coast to Tarragona. They are generally larger, flatter and have a sweeter taste than the more familiar California almonds. In addition, unlike their North American cousins, Marcona almonds have a harder, non-porous protective shell that resists insects, which allows them to be grown naturally without herbicides.
To enjoy a simple crunchy snack, heat up a small amount of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan or skillet. When the oil is very hot, toss in a few handfuls of these blanched nuts. Stir the simmering almonds with a wooden spoon until they become ever so slightly golden in color. Then scoop them into a bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. You don't need to be an accomplished chef to create this incredible taste! For the best flavor, Marcona almonds should be sautéed instead of roasted, as their delicate flavor can be overwhelmed by harsher cooking methods.
- Cardoons in White Almond Sauce (Cardo con Salsa de Almendra)
- Peach Tart (Tarta de Melocotón)
- San Pablo's Christmas Marzipan (Mazapán de San Pablo)
- Flourless Almond Cake (Bizcocho de Almendra sin Harina)
- Stewed Turresilano Farmyard Fowl (Gallo de Corral Turresilano)
- Almond Cakes (Pastas de Almendra)
- Romesco Sauce (Catalan Pepper Sauce) (Salsa Romesco)
- Juanita (Patatas Juanita en Salsa de Almendras)
- Almond Flan (Flan de Almendras)
- Tarta de Santiago (Tarta de Santiago)
- Monkfish in Almond Sauce (Rape en Salsa de Almendras)
- Cuttlefish, Almonds, Young Green Beans and Cocoa Sauce (Sepia al Punto con Almendras Tiernas y Cacao)
- Hot Ganache with Pink Pepper Ice Cream (Ganache Caliente con Helado de Pimienta Rosa)
- Textures of chocolate, corn and lemon (Texturas de Chocolate, Maíz y Limón)
- Lamb Fillet Steaks with Sauce from the Alpujarras (Cordero Alpujarreño)
- Pineapple Refresher with Herbs and Fruit (Refrescante de Piña con Hierbas y Frutas)
- Marcona Almond Citrus Olive Oil Cake (Almendra Marcona Citrus Olive Oil Pastel)
May We Suggest
May We Suggest
Customer ReviewsAverage rating from 12 reviews Write a review
JORGE Benach - Setauket, NY
"These are always enjoyed whether your're serving them at the bridge table, after school snack for the grandkids, or baked in a wonderful olive oil cake. Healthful and delicious. I roast them in the oven with olive oil and a little salt. "
SHARON - McMinnville, OR
"I'm working my way through these. So far I've toasted them and caramelized them; the flavor is wonderfully rich. "
Marcia - SIMBURY, CT
"I've ordered these before and they are wonderful!"
Sallie McLarty - Greensboro
"Best almonds available."
MARILYN DELSON - TROY, NY
"Not too tasty, unfortunately"
Sergio Cervetti - Doylestown
Reply from La Tienda
We appreciate these comments! These Marcona almonds are meant to be toasted or sauteed with sea salt and olive oil, or any other delicious spice combination. One of our favorite spice additions is smoked pimentón (paprika) - que rico!
"Beautiful sweet almonds!"
ESTHER SATO - SANTA MONICA, CA
Osvaldo Martinez - Waltham, MA
" The almonds came vacuum packed and were perfect for making Tarta de Santiago"
Christine Frances - Mankato , Minnesota
"The purity of this Marcona raw almonds is exultant indulgence to the delicate palate. its flavor takes you back in time to fields cover with almond trees all over the Peninsula Iberica, in full bloom....The sweet taste, the fine texture and all its powerful health benefits, makes this food essential in your diet. I always have a pack with me at all times inside my purse, for those moments when you need a snack....nothing is better than a hand full of Marcona almonds."
"I looked everywhere for these before finding them at La Tienda. Just pop them in the deep fryer for no more than 2 minutes (stop before they look browned- they keep cooking from the heat) and sprinkle on a little salt. These are always a hit at my parties- and they are so easy!"